Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! Looking back on 2014 it was a very lucky year for me with 62 "lifers" which brings my life list to 240 species seen in the United States.  I tried to pick a top 5 list but it was difficult for me to pick just 5.  So this is my "Unoffcial top 5 list" for 2014:

5. Northern Wheatear
4. Cassin's and Couch's Kingbirds
3. Long Billed Dowitcher
2. Rusty Blackbird
1. Marbled Godwit

I will also make a special note about the Red and Grey Screech Owls I've seen at Massapequa Preserve.  I've seen the Grey one recently, but the Red one has been MIA for some time.

Looking ahead to 2015, I'm going to make the same prediction I made last year and say that I'll see 10 new species in the upcoming year.  I'm not going to bet whether I reach this goal because I'm superstitous about these sort of things.  My target birds for the year are American Bittern, Pectoral Sandpiper, Whimbrel, and Bicknell's Thrush.


No comments:

Post a Comment