Sunday, August 9, 2015

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge - East Pond

After seeing the first good report at the East Pond including Pectoral Sandpipers and a Red Necked Phalarope, I decided it was a good time to visit.

When I arrived at the south end of the East Pond, I saw Canada Geese, lots of Egrets and Black Crowned Night Herons and a Glossy Ibis.  After a little while, they all took off.  Hoping to see sandpipers in decent numbers I became quickly disappointed - although the pond was easy to navigate, the shorebirds were noticeably absent.  Only saw a handful - most were Least Sandpipers, some Yellowlegs and a few Semi-Palmated Plovers and Sandpipers.  I did see a good amount of Northern Waterthrushes.  I did not walk to the North end, but seemed to have some more shorebirds, as well as egrets and swans - I guess I'll start there next time.


Least Sandpiper
Least Sandpipers
Northern Waterthrush
Least Sandpiper
Least Sandpipers

No comments:

Post a Comment