Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Jones Beach West End: Baird's Sandpiper

Following reports of a Baird's Sandpiper over the last few days, I headed over to Jones Beach West End around sunrise.  At first I was doubtful I would find it since a Northern Harrier was flying over the ponds.  I went into the dried up "reverse J" pond and found that the vegetation had grown considerably since my last visit.
At first I didn't see any shorebirds, but then spotted a group of about a dozen.  One look through my Vortex bins and it was obvious I was looking at the Baird's among a group of Least Sandpipers- the long tail was unmistakable.  Even though the Baird's was on the move, I was able to get some great views.

Baird's Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment