Thursday, August 20, 2015

Jones Beach Coast Guard area, Jones Beach West End: Baird's Sandpiper Part 2

Very low tide this morning - just the usual shorebirds: Semi-Palmated Plovers and Sandpipers, a few Black Skimmers - a lot of juvenile terns on the sandbar.  Highlights were a juvenile Night Heron, Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, and a dozen Great Egrets that flew in as a group.  Found some tracks by the grass which I assume are from the elusive but present Clapper Rails.

I returned shortly before sunset to look for shorebirds especially the Baird's Sandpiper in the dried up ponds at the West End - saw mostly Least Sandpipers, Semi-Palmated Plovers, a few Killdeer, and  I was able to locate the Baird's again.  I took a brief walk around Short Beach where it was low tide again -  not many shorebirds in numbers and variety - highlights were juvenile Night Herons, some Black Skimmers, Willetts, Yellowlegs and I believe a single Short Billed Dowitcher. (low light)  I think a trip to Jamaica Bay East Pond might be in order soon  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment