Saturday, January 9, 2016

Wild Goose chase is Over: Pink Footed Goose

I saw a report of a Pink Footed Goose at Miller's Pond in Smithtown so headed over there and got distant views of it - some time later it eventually took off with the Canada Geese it was associating with.  As I pulled out of the lot I noticed a field down the road so I figured I give it a shot to see if the goose landed there and sure enough, there it was.  I got great close up views of it.

I went to Amityville where I saw the continuing Ross's Goose right off Montauk Highway - got really great views of it also.  Camaan's Pond, Merrick had a good amount of waterfowl as well as Black Crowned Night Herons.  At Jones Beach West End I saw Harlequin Ducks, Purple Sandpipers, Common Eiders, and Long Tailed Ducks from the jetty, and Snow Buntings at the West End 2 lot.  I tried in vain looking for a reported (ebird) Northern Saw Whet Owl, but did find a late Phoebe.  I tried but could not find the Tufted Duck at Lake Capri but saw a Sharp Shinned Hawk.  At Belmont Lake the only notable sighting was a pair of Wood Ducks.  I ended the day with another visit to the Ross's Goose, then a stop at Farmingdale College-  there was a huge flock of several hundred Canada's but nothing else mixed in.

Pink Footed Goose
Ross's Goose
Harlequin Ducks
Purple Sandpiper
Snow Buntings
Phoebe
Northern Shoveler (pair)
Sharp Shinned Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment