Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Adirondacks, Lake Champlain: Sandhill Crane, Ruffed Grouse

I made the trip for some boreal birding - I missed one of my target birds - the Grey Jay but had some good "consolation prizes".  I went along Sabattis Road but never made it to Sabattis Bog - the road was closed off for some reason.  It was surprising to see snow on the ground - on the way I didn't see much except Chickadees - just when I thought I struck out I started seeing some good birds on the way back:  Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, 2 Pileated Woodpeckers and 2 Ruffed Grouses (lifer)!  I stopped by a marsh next to Tupper Lake and found one of my target birds - a lifer Sandhill Crane as well as a Raven and Pine Siskins at a feeder.  With a few hours left I decided to try my luck at Lake Champlain for a few reported Caspian Terns - I was treated to a view of at least 13 of them.  I had seen Caspian Terns on 2 prior occasions but never got a good view till now.

Ruffed Grouse
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Common Raven
Sandhill Crane
Sandhill Crane
Pine Siskins
Caspian Terns

No comments:

Post a Comment