Sunday, November 13, 2016

NYC, Massapequa Preserve, Lindenhurst, Bayville: Yellow Breasted Chat

For a few days, there has been reports of a Yellow Breasted Chat at Trinity Church and a small turnaround by St Pauls a few blocks north.  The Chat at Trinity Place Church was found by Ben Cacace!  Other birders were getting great photos and the birds seemed to sticking around so I figured I better take advantage and get into NYC.  I arrived at Trinity Church first and didn't see the Chat immediately.  I took a walk around the cemetary and easily spotted the bright yellow.  The bird was active hopping around everywhere, hardly stopping for a photo.  Eventually, it seemed to settle down in some trees - finally got my lifer Chat and at times I was only a few feet away from it - I didn't want to bother it too much so I left it and then tried finding the other Chat (I was greedy) but didn't see it.  I didn't mind - I got really great views of the Trinity Place Chat. 

I took a quick walk on the west side of the Brady Park lake to see it the Red Screech Owl was there (was posted on LI Wildlife, Facebook, assumed recent) but didn't see it.  I did see lots of Robins and Cedar Waxwings eating berries, female Scaup and Pied Billed Grebe.  I tried looking for the reported Long Billed Dowitchers by the creek near Ventetian Shores but only found Greater Yellowlegs and I believe to be a Short Billed Dowitcher (was also recently reported)  I tried looking for a report female King Eider up by Ransom Beach om Bayville but didn't see it.  It's a kooky thing when it's easier to see a Chat than a duck : )

Yellow Breasted Chat
Yellow Breasted Chat
Yellow Breasted Chat
Yellow Breasted Chat

No comments:

Post a Comment