Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year

 So 2020 wasn't the best year - the COVID pandemic and it's effect prevented me from birding as much as I would have liked to.  I did manage to go birding sometimes which included a trip to Maine and 2 trips to the Sterling Forest area.  I only saw 2 life birds this past year, however, I did get better looks at some species that I haven't seen well before - notably a perched Broad Winged Hawk upstate (before that I only saw them in flight)  Birding at Ironwood Road/ Sterling Forest was awesome - I saw a Brewster's Warbler and lifer Golden Winged Warbler.  I'll definitely go back in the spring.  Maine was a bit disappointing because I was expecting to see white winged gulls and Barred Owls everywhere, but at least I saw a bunch of Black Guillemots.

This fall was interesting because I saw some cool warblers on or around my property in Massapequa.  I was treated to 2 long visiting Parulas (my son nicknamed them Pingus and Pongus), a Black Throated Warbler and a Tennessee Warbler!

I'm not complaining but hopefully will see more life birds in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment