Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Sy Schiff : (

 As I was out and about, I got a message in whatsapp that Sy Schiff had passed away at 90.  I remember seeing and talking to him especially when I started birding.  He was always very polite and tried to be helpful to new birders.  It was very interesting to hear his perspective as he was a long time birder.  Rather than write a story about the times I met him, I'll list some of the memories I have of him that are personal to me. 

always seemed to have a thing for sparrows and clapper rails at Oceanside Marine Nature Study
I would keep going back to Oceanside to try to get my lifer Clapper Rail because of his reports

"I don't like that bird" I was with him the day Long Island got a bunch of off course Franklin's Gulls and he saw a Franklin's Gull at the Captree parking lot - (he wasn't convinced it was a Franklin's Gull, but it was)

when I saw my lifer Pomarine Jaeger sitting on the sand at Jones Beach West End(my birding claim to fame) he commented to me, that's the least likely seen jaeger that would be seen from shore

He will be missed 



No comments:

Post a Comment