Sunday, January 10, 2021

Notes on early January

 I wasn't having much luck in early January.  There was a female Spotted Towhee in Baldwin that I tried to see, but it was skulky and didn't get to see it.  I wasn't too upset because I saw a male in California so it wasn't a missed lifer.  I also tried but failed to find reported Common Redpolls at Jones Beach and Greenwood Cemetery.  I took a day to go to Greenwood and various spots around Long Island such as Cedar Creek in Seaford, Shu Swamp and Teddy Roosevelt Beach in Oyster Bay.  I did see Pine Siskins at Greenwood and a refound a reported Snow Goose at Teddy Roosevelt on the rocks by the boat ramp.  I also found 2 Greater Yellowlegs by Cedar Creek so at least I found something cool n my own instead of chasing other birders' reports.

Recently here and there, I did go to Jones Beach West End and see Snowy Owls in the distance (being chased by photographers) and a continuing flock of Red Crossbills.  Not sure if I mentioned earlier in my blog but it's an irruption year for finches.  Always nice to see Red Crossbills, a rare treat on Long Island.


No comments:

Post a Comment