Sunday, February 8, 2015

Jones Beach, Massapequa Preserve, Point Lookout, Mill Pond, Bellmore

For the most part, I was the only birder out today - it was cold and blustery again, but that didn't stop me - the birds are out all the time.  I caught up with a small group of songbirds feeding on the exposed grasses - saw Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, Chipping and Song Sparrows and several Lapland Longspurs.  A large Crow caught my eye making me think it could be a Raven - I'm still undecided if it was an unusually large Crow or a Raven.

Massapequa Preserve was largely uneventful except for a Hermit Thrush - Point Lookout had some activity, a decent amount of Bonaparte Gulls was most notable. 

Mill Pond hosted a decent amount of waterfowl (mostly Shovelers) and at least 6 Great Blue Herons.  A Pied Billed Grebe "photobombed" my shot of a Hooded Herganser.  Either the same one or another caught a fish and I was able to get a photo.

Lapland Longspur
Lapland Lonspur, Snow Bunting
Lapland Longspurs
Lapland Longspurs
Lapland Longspurs, Snow Bunting
Horned Larks
Savanah Sparrow
Large Crow or Raven?
Hermit Thrush
Brant, Bonaparte Gulls
Northern Shovelers
Hooded Merganser, Pied Billed Grebe
Ruddy Duck
Great Blue Herons, Common Merganser
Pied Billed Grebe with dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment