Monday, October 19, 2015

Jones Beach West End, Robert Moses State Park

I spent a lot of the morning looking for the Chat but it never showed up - lots of Yellow Rumped Warblers and sparrows were everywhere.  I did get a nice look at 2 Lark Sparrows - I got a good photo of the "better" looking one as it crossed into the Coast Guard area.  The other was preening itself in the "hedgerow".  I looked for Red Headed Woodpeckers seen the last few days but didn't have any luck.  There were 2 Northern Harriers flying over the dunes.

There were lots of Brants at Zachs Bay and a nice surprise were 2 Green Winged Teal.

I tried looking for the juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker and also had wishful thinking about the Western Kingbird at Robert Moses but didn't locate either - there were a lot of Flickers on the golf course.  On the ocean there were lots of gulls in the surf and on the beach.  Terns were moving west along the coast - the only positive ID I got were Forster's.

When I returned to the west end I walked the median to the turn around and back.  I found a juvenile White Crowned Sparrow at the turnaround, a few Kinglets, Phoebes, Flickers, and there were some Merlins in the area.  One was particularly aggressive chasing around for it's dinner.

Lincoln's Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole
Common Yellowthroat
Lark Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Surf Scoter
(duck)
tagged Canada Goose
(sparrow)
shorebird mix
shorebird mix
Swamp Sparrow
Boat Tailed Grackle
Northern Flickers
gulls (assuming Laughing)
Green Winged Teal, Brant
Merlin
Eastern Phoebe
White Crowned and White Throated Sparrows
Cedar Waxwings

No comments:

Post a Comment