Monday, May 9, 2016

Hempstead and Valley Stream State Parks: Blackpoll

There was a major Spring migration fallout yesterday so I made sure I got out to look around if only for a few hours.  My first bird of the day was a Baltimore Oriole in my neighborhood so I figured I was off to a good start.  When I was at Hempstead Lake State Park I was a bit disappointed - only bird of note was a Great Crested Flycatcher.  A friend of mine was at Valley Stream where he saw 3 Yellow Billed Cuckoos and my "nemesis bird" the Black Throated Green Warbler.  I saw one last year but was only a quick glimpse.  I headed over to Valley Stream where I was again disappointed - didn't see much at first except for another Great Crested Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Hermit Thrush and a bunch of Yellow Rumped Warblers.  My luck changed as I was leaving when I found a Scarlett Tanager, Wood Thrush (heard also), Northern Parula and a lifer Blackpoll - all by the playground where my son was enjoying the nice day.

Baltimore Oriole (Massapequa)
Canada Geese
Scarlett Tanager
Wood Thrush
American Goldfinch
Blackpoll on bottom left?

No comments:

Post a Comment