Thursday, May 5, 2016

Jones Beach West End, Hempstead Lake State Park: Cliff Swallow

I took a went around the Jones Beach West End swale and around the Coast Guard area looking for shorebirds - I found my FOS Semipalmated Sandpipers and Plovers, Spotted Sandpiper, and a pair of Short Billed Dowitchers.  I also saw Piping Plovers, Black Bellied Plovers and Dunlin in breeding plumage as well as 2 gulls trying to catch some goslings - luckily the parent geese chased away the gulls.

Hearing that a Cliff Swallow was seen, I headed over to Hempstead Lake State Park where I got my lifer Cliff Swallow as well as a Bank Swallow, Barn and Tree Swallows, Chimney Swifts and possibly a Northern Rough Winged Swallow also.  I did a brief check of the trees along the stream and found a singing male Redstart.

Piping Plover
Semipalmated Sandpipers
gulls trying to catch goslings
Dunlin
Black Bellied Plover
Short Billed Dowitcher
Cliff Swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment